Basic Live Connect support for java

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 26 13:55:11 BST 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, George Staikos wrote:

> On April 22, 2002 02:09, Koos Vriezen wrote:
>
> > I think it's the other way around, Java calls plugin's API by jni. Meaning
> > the plugin is loaded with the vm.
>
>    Oh well that could still be done I think.  It just needs someone to write
> the glue code.

Also a vm is quite a beast for only passing LiveConnect calls to the
plugin. I think it worth the effort making specialized plugins for flash
and realplay.
I still think setting up a khtml_plugin interface should be done first.
So maybe

Create a khtml/plugin dir which contains contains a khtml_plugin.so that
is loaded by khtml when needed. It also declares a DCOP interface in
the html widget (konqueror-xxx html-widgetx pluginx), that can do JS
calls (evalJS will do). A khtml_plugin has also a QWidget derive.
A libkhtmlplugin.so that contains a DCOP interface for
put/get/call/init/start/getWinId calls. These are called from
khtml_plugin.so.
khtml/plugin/plugins dir contains subdirs
java/ns4/mozilla/crossover/kpart(for local browsing)/...
Each subdir contains a specialized excecutable linked against
libkhtmlplugin.so, and implements the DCOP calls.
An EMBED/APPLET tag lets khtml_plugin.so determine which executable to
start. HTMLAppletElementImpl and HTMLEmbedElementImpl unite to
HTMLEmbedElementImpl.

or something like this.

Koos Vriezen