tabbed browsing bugs

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Apr 19 06:18:09 BST 2002

On April 18, 2002 19:33, Doug Hanley wrote:

> >   Oh I see.  It was only working on the linked tab.  Hmm this may not be
> > obvious to the user.  It might be better to have the sidebar work with
> > whichever tab is visible.  What does everyone else think?
>
> Does this imply that the sidebar should affect whatever the active view is?
> If it does then I would have no objections.  Also, if we make that change,
> would we really need the concept of linked views at all?

  Yes.   I don't know exactly what linked views really does (in its entirety)
so I can't recommend removing it at this point.

> >    Also, I think the Window->New Tab should open a new tab at the
> > toplevel, whereas the context menu should open one within the view if
> > that is where the context menu is activated.  This is a bit of a feature
> > request as much as anything, but I think it would be more consistent this
> > way.
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure haveing tabs anywhere other than the top level is such
> a good idea.  I mean, would anyone actually use a split view, with a tab
> container inside of one of the views (other than for the purpose of having
> the sidebar or console, which is already taken care of)?  Maybe its just
> me, but that seems like it would confuse the user even more.  Personally, I
> think that tab features should be incorporated into profiles.  This way it
> would work from kdeinit, and we wouldn't have to guess at where to put the
> docContainer.

  Well I was thinking that it would be nice for file management.  I could have
a split view with tabs in both views.  I could also have a split view with
webpage tabs in one view and local file folders in the other view.

> >   That might not be so obvious to users.  It seems a bit destructive to
> > me. However i haven't tried it so I can't comment.  Normally the user
> > would expect a context menu from that action...
>
> Ok, that shouldn't be too hard, what should this context menu contain? Off
> hand I would think: new tab, duplicate tab, close tab, split tab into new
> window.

   Yes that sounds reasonable to me.

> >   There is another bug now.  I am getting a pure virtual method call.  I
> > know that I added a bit of code and that's where it's happening, but it
> > shouldn't be happening there.  To reproduce:  go to a page (say google),
> > split view left-right, open a new tab in the right view, close that new
> > tab, kill the right view.  *poof*
>
> I experienced something like that too.  I'm almost positive that if we keep
> tabs only at the top-level (meaning always directly under the sidebars or
> the mainwindow) this would remove a lot of extra complexity, get rid of
> some crash bugs, and would make it easier for the user to understand.

   It implies that there is code missing, or that there is a bug somewhere.  I
think we should fix this first.  Then we can restrict tabs more if people
wish.  I personally prefer to be able to have tabs inside views inside tabs
inside views  etc if I want.  The average user doesn't even use views so I
don't think it will be confusing, but for the power user, it can be quite
nice.  (yes, I have never seen a user using views other than a KDE developer)

--

George Staikos