[Kexi] Kexi 2.9.11 released

Swarup dinbandhu at sprynet.com
Fri Apr 15 13:47:33 UTC 2016

On 04/15/2016 09:15 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> On 15 April 2016 at 14:47, Swarup <dinbandhu at sprynet.com
> <mailto:dinbandhu at sprynet.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 04/15/2016 08:29 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>

>>     On 15 April 2016 at 14:07, Swarup <dinbandhu at sprynet.com
>>     <mailto:dinbandhu at sprynet.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         On 04/15/2016 07:45 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>>

>>>         On 15 April 2016 at 13:36, Swarup <dinbandhu at sprynet.com
>>>         <mailto:dinbandhu at sprynet.com>> wrote:

>>>             Looks wonderful-- I am really looking forward to the day
>>>             when I'll be able to upgrade kexi versions. The version
>>>             I have right now is so dysfunctional. Any time the mouse
>>>             crosses from the left side of the screen into the left
>>>             side of the table, it makes the table jump to the top.
>>>             This is endlessly frustrating and a huge waste of time.
>>>             Say I am working in row #750, the mouse moves across the
>>>             left border of the table and all of a sudden the table
>>>             jumps to row#1. If there is any fix for this, please advise.
>>>

>>>         ​ All this was long ago fixed.​
>>>         ​ My advice is to upgrade the OS or install​ another copy in
>>>         a virtual machine or different computer. Regardless of
>>>         availability of the Snap packages, staying with outdated
>>>         software on LTS platforms will be always a compromise. It's
>>>         not a problem for apps that do not evolve much anymore but
>>>         Kexi is actively developed and users are hungry for features :)
>>>
>>>         We'll be looking for a way when practically every week new
>>>         updates appear for Kexi.
>>>

>>         There are so many software packages which update regularly
>>         every week with the Ubuntu update manager-- it happens
>>         automatically. If Kexi could be incorporated into this
>>         feature, it would be great.
>>

>>     OK. Do you mean official packages from Canonical or do you have
>>     unofficial repositories added?

Either would be perfectly fine.

>>         As for upgrading the OS, the Final Version of the new Ubuntu
>>         LTS 16.04 is coming out on April 21. My current LTS 14.04 is
>>         in all other regards functioning wonderfully, and I would
>>         have no other reason to upgrade given my own specific usage
>>         patterns and needs. Upgrading would only be done for getting
>>         an updated Kexi, and for me upgrading Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro
>>         is not a small job. So this being the case, let me just ask
>>         the following questions:
>>

>>     I can't see updates for even new Ubuntu on this web page, 2.9.7
>>     is too old:
>>     http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/kexi
>>>
>     Does this mean that 16.04 is going to install an old version of kexi?
>
>     Or are you saying you don't know what version of Kexi it will install?
>

>>     ​ There's contact email kubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>>     <mailto:kubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com> to the developers where
>>     yo ucan ask for help.
>>

>>     ​ But have you tried this advice?
>>     http://www.askmetutorials.com/2016/02/install-calligra-office-suite-2911-on.html
>>

>     Now this is very exciting indeed. I will definitely try this--
>     right now.
>
>     Do I need to first uninstall my existing version of Kexi? And if
>     so, can I use the Ubuntu software manager to do the install?
>
>     Or can I leave the current install in place and install 2.9.11
>     alongside it?
>

> ​ There can be only one version installed in one system, and the
> system would only propose installation is ​newer version is found.

I just now uninstalled kexi using the Ubuntu software manager, and then
followed the listed tutorial for the new install of Calligra 2.9.11. But
to my surprise, it merely re-installed the very same old version which
I've had for ages (Kexi Version 2.8.5, Using KDE Platform Version
4.14.13). So I'm afraid the tutorial is not working for installing
Calligra 2.9.11. It just installs the ages old version of KOffice which
comes with Ubuntu 14.04 repos. Please do let me know if you have a
solution for this.