[Kexi] [ideas] Google Fusion Tables - storage for Kexi?

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sun Nov 27 09:49:04 UTC 2011

On 27 November 2011 04:46, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The goal is to make Kexi able to open sqlite3 files directly.
>> This is a higher-priority plan for the next version after Kexi 2.4.
>
> Read and write sqlite3 files directly?
>
> I hope it is not a year or 2 from now but sooner.

I hope so :)

> Any programs / apps that can read and write .kexi files at the moment?

For example: http://sqliteman.com
The rule is that if you only change data and not adding tables or
columns, kexi can see the changes.

> Any python, javascript bindings that can read and write .kexi files at
> the moment?

Yes we have experimental python or javascript bindings visible as
Script objects in Kexi.
http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php@Scripting.html
Ruby could work too. What is depends on distribution you use.

We're aiming to switch to solid, stable (as in API) javascript
scripting with complete object model.
This is going to use QtScript with webkit javascriptcore or with
google v8 engine.

> Kexi would be good data input for QGIS, if it can read and write
> sqlite (i.e. spatailite files) even just non spatial.
>
> http://www.qgis.org/
>
> QGIS can read and write PosgreSQL (i.e. PostGIS) and sqlite (i.e
> spatialite files) and QGIS has a python bindiings (i.e. PyQGIS) and
> soon probably a javascript bindings as well in QGIS version 2 (plan).
>
> http://linfiniti.com/2011/11/more-on-qgis-desktop-web-fusion/

This is all very interesting. It would be possible to have proper
integration if we have any contributor in this area.
Even starting with small thing would make a difference. The one who is
interested would decide on the future shape of Kexi :)

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)