[Kexi] Kexi-Query: Not accepting date

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 11:42:20 UTC 2011

On 4 November 2011 12:31, Renaissance Yoga <renyoga at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Thank you for your guideline. Two questions for you:
>
> 1. If I go into design view and change the columns from dates to text, will
> I lose all my info in the entire database. As I recall, once I change
> anything in the design view of the database, then all inputted data is
> removed. Or is there a way for me to change from dates to text without
> losing all other data.

That is true. For now one simple mouse-driven solution is to: export
table(s) to CSV, remove the table(s) and import the CSV data again.
While importing you'll be able to set data types for each column.

> 2. Once I have changed the column to text, will I be able to easily switch
> it back to dates (without losing info etc) once I upgrade / switchover to
> Kexi 2.4 (from Calligra)?

Yes, at least you'll be able to do that the same way as I explained
above, and you'll just change the type of respective columns to Date,
Time or Date/Time before importing.

For 2.5 we're planning table editing feature that keeps data untouched.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)