[Kexi] Re: Dear Kexi Development Group

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Oct 13 18:15:40 CEST 2010

On 13 October 2010 17:55, Giovanni Corriga <giovannicorriga at tiscali.it> wrote:
>  Dear Kexi Development Group,
>
> I send this email to ask you a question: how to solve the problem of the
> graphical interface of this DBMS in its current form if it were ported to
> Mac OS, given the existence of the porting of KDE libraries? The interface
> to the Ribbon, which can fit under Linux or Windows, does not work under
> Apple.

Dear Giovanni,
I agree that not having menu at all is not the way to go. It should be
enabled on Mac by default due to UI gudelines, and available to show
on the other OSes.
Apple has ribbon/side pane interface as well. it's based on drawers
and floating windows. The latter were always there,
For instance one can look at iWorks or Filemaker. The look is just
different but tabs and buttons are still there.
Sticking to just menus takes the power out of users unfortunately:
many menus of more complex applications are very big and thus
suboptimal to use.
What remains to do is actual applying native style and look to the Mac
port of Kexi.
I am open to guide developers willing to contribute in this area.
Currently I am not in permanent contact even with Mac users of Kexi 2.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & KOffice (http://kexi-project.org, http://identi.ca/kexi,
http://koffice.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (http://windows.kde.org)