[Kexi] Thanks for Kexi!

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Mar 19 09:40:10 CET 2010

On 19 March 2010 06:14, Mark Barazzuol <gd05mark at gmail.com> wrote:
> I stumbled upon Kexi when desperate for a MsAccess type of solution for
> linux.  While I'm checking out version 1.1.3, I'm very impressed with what
> you have and what you are planning.  Some features are already easier and
> simpler than Access.    I'm even more surprised when I see how small your
> team is.  So thank you for doing this.
>
> I find I'm waiting for two features before I dive in.
>
> The first is more event hooks for the forms.   I'm really happy to see you
> are doing those.
>
> The second is another scripting option than Ruby or Python.  I was wondering
> why you guys didn't choose something similar in structure to C as it seems
> to be the best known, and may provide the lowest barrier of entry.
> Javascript may do the trick.   I just need it better explained how to hook
> them up to events, buttons etc.  And clearer examples of how to create a
> dynamic SQL statement for running queries, updating / deleting rows etc.
>
> I'm looking forward to Kexi 2.2.   Please keep up the hard work.  And thank
> you again.

Mark, thanks for your kind words!
Scripting in javascript is possible using (via
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Kross) however it needs
polishing and dedicated users that work with us actively on improving
things. Also the documentation (it's easy to contribute on userbase
wikis!)

As for hooks in forms - my personal goal here is to let the user
forget about scripting as long as possible, thus having more friendly
solution than MSA where in order to have e.g. a tree widget, one needs
to load DLL/OCX and use fragile and complex VBA-VB bridges.

list and the #kexi IRC channel.

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (http://windows.kde.org)