[Kexi] switching from FM to Kexi?

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Apr 22 19:34:11 CEST 2009

2009/4/22 derobill at gmail.com <derobill at gmail.com>:
> I have just discover Kexi and tried to read as much as possible to get
> an idea if what I would like to do is possible with it or not. This tool
> sounds very promising. I am looking for re-building a databank I created
> 3 years ago with Filemaker. I am not a database guru, far from that,
> this was the only one I did, and it was quite fun. But today I need to
> do some major modifications on it to improve the ease of use and I am
> looking for some alternatives to filemaker. One of my wishes would be to
> offer an internet accessibility to the database and to integrate if
> possible an image database to it with image preview.
>
>    The today databank is filled / managed thanks to a series of form
> which are connecting in a kind of workflow, related to a request number.
> The forms are built with simple fields, combo box, grids and buttons
> which oft launch a small script deciding the next form to display,
> depending of a parameter (for example if Method = = freezer method, then
> go to "freezer method" form , if Method = = chemical method, then go to
> "chemical method" form). The database is used by several users from
> different computer at the same time, so I need a server.
>
>    Ideally, I would like to use MySQL or PostgreSQL as server databank
> (sounds robust for image data), to have user filling / editing / reading
> the form via the browser and also if this is possible to have the
> possibility to integrated images to request number. And that all (quite
> a lot I believe) hopefully in agreement with in the concept of Rapid
> Database Application Development :-) .
>
>    Would be that possible with Kexi 2.0 ?

Hi Quentin,
It appears that you need the following features: good comboboxes and
some relationships, all within forms, and server database
connectivity. Kexi 2.0 is in transition state so if you depend on it
these times you would need to prepare yourself to cooperation with us
and patience: feature after feature is ported to the new KDE 4/KOffice
2, or even completely reworked, and thus while there are shining stars
like Reports, you may also find some features missing compared to Kexi
1.x.
Moreover while we're open to add features you will discover as
"definitely needed" in the folowing months you may find  that we (at
least I am) more focused on stabilization of the current features and
e.g. backward compatibility with previous 1.x series.
This does not mean ignoring the request, e.g. recently I've added
autodetected boolean type to the CSV import function. So yes, we
definitely need such real-world requests, and we have hundreds of
these carefully noted down :)