[Kexi] switching from FM to Kexi?

derobill at gmail.com derobill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:41:05 CEST 2009

I have just discover Kexi and tried to read as much as possible to get
an idea if what I would like to do is possible with it or not. This tool
sounds very promising. I am looking for re-building a databank I created
3 years ago with Filemaker. I am not a database guru, far from that,
this was the only one I did, and it was quite fun. But today I need to
do some major modifications on it to improve the ease of use and I am
looking for some alternatives to filemaker. One of my wishes would be to
offer an internet accessibility to the database and to integrate if
possible an image database to it with image preview.

    The today databank is filled / managed thanks to a series of form
which are connecting in a kind of workflow, related to a request number.
The forms are built with simple fields, combo box, grids and buttons
which oft launch a small script deciding the next form to display,
depending of a parameter (for example if Method = = freezer method, then
go to "freezer method" form , if Method = = chemical method, then go to
"chemical method" form). The database is used by several users from
different computer at the same time, so I need a server.

    Ideally, I would like to use MySQL or PostgreSQL as server databank
(sounds robust for image data), to have user filling / editing / reading
the form via the browser and also if this is possible to have the
possibility to integrated images to request number. And that all (quite
a lot I believe) hopefully in agreement with in the concept of Rapid
Database Application Development :-) .

    Would be that possible with Kexi 2.0 ?

    Thanks in advances for any advices,

Best,