[Kexi] Forms Question

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Dec 29 23:50:38 CET 2008

2008/12/29 scott <svetter at ameritech.net>:
>  Just starting out with Kexi and so far I think it's great.  Perhaps
> when I get familiar with it I can help further develop it.  Or at least
> improve on the documentation.

Hi Scott,
good to hear your plans :)

> But for now I have a couple of questions
> concerning forms.  1) I would like to have a menu form where I can enter
> either a ID number which then after pressing the appropriate button it
> launches me to a new form where the information is that matches the ID
> number.  Can this be done and if so how?

I am assuming you're using 1.1.3 version from KOffice 1.6.3, as 2.0 is alpha.
It's not possible by setting a property nor using a script (I think)
as there are no bindings for scripts at the interactive level yet.
Using find dialog is the only option virtually close to what you
describe, at the moment.

> 2) If a form is displayed, I
> then press a button to launch a query, when the results are returned,
> can I have a button or two that, that is associated with each row
> returned, when pressed launch the appropriate form?

Not yet. It's useful option indeed.

>   Also, can a rule be setup for a input area that it is to match two or
> more possibilities?  Such might be that a field is either Male or Female?

For two-values-based field, you can use the boolean data type and the
checkbox widget.
For more values, create a small two-column table (ID, Name) and use it
in the lookup column setup (the column in the master table should be
of type Integer. A simple kde-files.org example [1] provides more info
on the design of lookup columns.

[1] http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php/Simple+Database?content=23137