[Kexi] Importing csv

wayne iw at ukulele.com
Mon Mar 26 17:49:59 CEST 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 11:48 pm, Jarosław Staniek wrote:

> Hello Wayne,
> Kexi performs rather clever type detection based on multiple rows, by
> reading them first (about first 100 or so) and then it reads them again
> when types are detected. For example, if you have 123.4 value, it will
> be floating point UNLESS you have a non-number somewhere in the same
> column. In the later case, Kexi uses text type.
>
> Once you have the CSV import window displayed you can change type of any
> column by:
> 1. clicking on any cell of this column;
> 2. setting data type from the "Format for column #" combo box on the top
> of the window
>
> Note: you cannot set floating point numbers and integer numbers types
> explicitly, instead you set "Number" type and Kexi will detect whether
> the number is oftype 'floating point' or not. This is for simplified
> operation, but may be extended in later versions.

Yes, this works fine. Thank you very much.

BTW, what's the easiest way to edit a group of records, say 100 out of
2000? If I want to change the location field of each of these 100 records,
from location A to location B, is the following the correct procedure?

1. Do a query on a table of 2000 records and find the 100 records that need
editing.
2. Write down the ID numbers of each of these 100 records.
numbers, editing each record's location field as you go along.

Is this the only way or is there a simpler way that I don't know about?

Thanks,
Wayne