[Kexi] Importing csv

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Mar 23 10:48:42 CET 2007

wayne said the following, On 2007-03-23 10:12:
> When importing a csv file, how does one designate whether a field will be
> imported as text or floating point or something else? I need to know this
> since I can't change the format (without deleting all data) after I import
> it into Kexi.

Hello Wayne,
Kexi performs rather clever type detection based on multiple rows, by reading
them first (about first 100 or so) and then it reads them again when types are
detected. For example, if you have 123.4 value, it will be floating point
UNLESS you have a non-number somewhere in the same column. In the later case,
Kexi uses text type.

Once you have the CSV import window displayed you can change type of any
column by:
1. clicking on any cell of this column;
2. setting data type from the "Format for column #" combo box on the top of
the window

Note: you cannot set floating point numbers and integer numbers types
explicitly, instead you set "Number" type and Kexi will detect whether the
number is oftype 'floating point' or not. This is for simplified operation,
but may be extended in later versions.

Note2: For safety, floating point is set to "double precision" on import.

Oh, we should have pasted this explanation into the manual. So much to add...