[Kexi] Strange Crash

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Jun 4 23:48:22 CEST 2007

Ok, thanks. I confirm the crash, and from the very first minute I supposed
there is a limit = 101 or so for number of columns ;)

I have increased this to 1009 now. The bug appears to be fixed, and I do not
consider it as grave, since database tables have usually smaller number of
fields.

The fix can be found in the upcoming 1.1.3 or as a patch.
Are you able to compile Kexi from source code or ask someone to do so?

As a side note (after looking at your database), I'd like to add that the way
how you developed the "survey data" table is not the best one. Instead of
having 100+ fields it would be better to have more tables: move questions in
surveys to table "questions" like

[table questions]
fields:
survey_id INTEGER, question_number INTEGER, question_text TEXT, value_type INTEGER

Then, form(s) could be built using this information _dynamically_. The
advantage would be that you can build new surveys without redesigning your
database.
BUT: this is not even a plan to have it available in Kexi -- maybe one day.
(don't worry, neither it's available in MS Access/Filemaker).

Therefore, for now I recommend you to study what's available at Sourceforge
[1]. The rule is that web-based frontends are generated anyway, so this kind
of highly dynamic forms fits especially well to the web GUI.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=survey