[Kexi] LIMIT 1 in Select Clause

Sharan Rao sharanrao at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:33:10 CET 2007

On Tuesday 04 Dec 2007 7:17:42 pm Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Sharan Rao said the following, On 2007-12-01 21:17:
> >  I was facing problems with the function Connection::querySingleString()
> > in Sybase, as the " LIMIT " clause is not supported.
>
> Sharan, thanks for your time; here's the patch you can apply for LIMIT 1
> ussue. I am looking forward your opinion on it.

well, now I observed that problem arises when Connection::querySingleString()
function is called from within kexidb ( that is,  not by some driver code ).

Take for example, the function,
 Connection::loadDataBlock()

Functions like above, which mostly query the system tables created by kexi,
use querySingleString() function too !! And they use it without changing the
default value of the  flag  -- addLimitTo1. :(. So they are sent with
the "LIMIT 1".

As row limiting is implemented differently in different databases, ( not sure
whether adherence to SQL:2003 window functions would help ?), do you think it
would be better if the responsibility of adding the "LIMIT" clause ( whatever
it may be ) to the drivers ?

From what this link shows ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select_(SQL)#Non-standard_syntax
most databases "append" their respective LIMIT clause.

(Though I'd have to parse, extract and insert it after SELECT for sybase :P )

Cheers!
 Sharan Rao