[Kexi] Kexi (the Windows version) Succeeded importing "Simply Accounting" data (an MS Jet Application)

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Apr 25 11:11:18 CEST 2007

John Austin said the following, On 2007-04-25 02:09:

> This is a very popular Bookkeeping package used in Canada  and  the US. The
> back-end database for Simply Accounting is MS Jet (MS Access) and I wanted
> to try converting the data to MySQL or PostgreSQL to play with the Eclipse
> BIRT Report Designer. I was having trouble with BIRT crashing repeatedly
> [this happens when you feed an invalid SQL statement to BIRT] and wanted to
> try another database driver.
>
> I downloaded the 30-day trial of Kexi for Windows and played with it a bit.
> I could not see any docs for the MS Access plug-in and gave up for a few
> days.
>
> Just for fun, I renamed my FILE.SDB to FILE.MDB and double-clicked on it.
> Kexi started up and decided that  the file is an Access file and just went
> ahead and imported the data. The tables all appeared in the Kexi interface
> just like magic.
>
> I don't need replies, I am just posting this so that anyone searching for a
> tool to read Simply Accounting databases, will find this document in our
> favorite web search engine.
>
> Allow me to stuff some keywords:
>
> Simply Accounting, Microsoft Access, MS Access, Microsoft  Jet database,
> access database conversion, ODBC, JDBC, Eclipse, BIRT, Report Designer,
> girls, girls, girls, Sexi Kexi
>
> (Please excuse the last items, I like to lead porn-surfers astray. after
> all, they waste OUR time!)

Thank for these kind words and especially -- keywords :)

As a side note, I was thinking about having a _dedicated_ plugin for accessing
data sources like the Bookkeeping data directly (even if readonly) without
need for importing. Such plugin could have useful queries predefined for
performing various analyses. Who knows, it's reasonable for popular use cases...