[Kexi] Kexi (the Windows version) Succeeded importing "Simply Accounting" data (an MS Jet Application)

John Austin johnwmaustin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 02:09:53 CEST 2007

This is a very popular Bookkeeping package used in Canada  and  the US. The
back-end database for Simply Accounting is MS Jet (MS Access) and I wanted
to try converting the data to MySQL or PostgreSQL to play with the Eclipse
BIRT Report Designer. I was having trouble with BIRT crashing repeatedly
[this happens when you feed an invalid SQL statement to BIRT] and wanted to
try another database driver.

I downloaded the 30-day trial of Kexi for Windows and played with it a bit.
I could not see any docs for the MS Access plug-in and gave up for a few
days.

Just for fun, I renamed my FILE.SDB to FILE.MDB and double-clicked on it.
Kexi started up and decided that  the file is an Access file and just went
ahead and imported the data. The tables all appeared in the Kexi interface
just like magic.

I don't need replies, I am just posting this so that anyone searching for a
tool to read Simply Accounting databases, will find this document in our
favorite web search engine.

Allow me to stuff some keywords:

Simply Accounting, Microsoft Access, MS Access, Microsoft  Jet database,
access database conversion, ODBC, JDBC, Eclipse, BIRT, Report Designer,
girls, girls, girls, Sexi Kexi

(Please excuse the last items, I like to lead porn-surfers astray. after
all, they waste OUR time!)