[Kexi] Script to open a form > build from source

Martin Ellis martin.ellis at kdemail.net
Tue Nov 14 19:56:46 CET 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 17:22, Bruce Hohl wrote:
> 1- Can I build and install just Kexi and not the
> entire KOffice suite?  How?

Sort of.  I think you can get away with running make in the 'lib'
and then again in the 'kexi' directory.  Ditto 'make install'.
Should work.

> 2- For macros, scripts, pgsql and mysql it looks like
>    I don't need any ./configure options based on the
>    following from "./configure --help":

I'm not sure about this... I haven't followed the history
of macros.  If macros are the default, I wonder why support
isn't in the packages...   Anyone know?

> 3- Why use --prefix=/opt/kde3/koffice versus default?
>    What is the benefit?

The default is /usr/local.  If everything you compile goes
there then you'll end up with all the files from everything
you compile mixed together, like they are in /usr/bin for
example.  In /usr/bin, that's not a problem because you
have a package manager.  For stuff you compile from
source, you don't have a package manager (although
if you can be bothered to use GNU stow it suffices).

Either way, when compiling from source,  you should make
sure you can build and install as non-root user.  Messing
about as root just isn't cool anymore, and leads to tears ;o)

> 4- Should I uninstall my current version of Kexi
>    (1.1.0) first which was installed from the Kbuntu
>    repositories.

If you're compiling from source, that seems sensible, yes.
You can always re-install it later if you like.

> 5- Later when I want to move from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 what
>    is the general process?

For minor versions, you can just build and install them
the same way.  For major versions, be sure to delete the
installation directory before you reinstall.  That's why
you don't want the files mixed up with other things.

> 6- How to uninstall or remove Kexi when installed in
>    this manner?  If --prefix=/opt/kde3/koffice is used
>    can that directory simply be deleted?

Yup.  That's the idea.
Note that my instructions suggest /opt/kde3, rather than
/opt/kde3/koffice.  Either is fine, but obviously if you
change the prefix, you'll have to adjust the other paths to suit.

Martin