[Kexi] Script to open a form > build from source

Bruce Hohl brucehohl at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 18:22:51 CET 2006

wrote:
> > OK, I like the idea of using macros.  I am using
> > Kexi 1.1.0 installed on Ubuntu from the Kbuntu
> > repository.  Macros are not enabled in this
ersion.

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kexi/2005-October/000025.html

> It mentions editing a file in your home directory
> called .profile.
> Try that first, if it doesn't work, then I know for
> sure that .bashrc
> will work instead.
>
> You need the following packages installed first,
> before you try the above:
> build-essential kdelibs4-dev automake1.7
> libreadline5-dev
>
> Also libpqxx-dev (it's in the 'universe' repository)
> if you want PostgreSQL
> support (probably not), and libmysqlclient-dev (or
> something) for MySQL
> support.
>
> Hope that's enough to get you started?
>
> Martin

OK, Martin, thank you for the reply.  I read that
document and the INSTALL file from the source.  Before
I install Kexi from source I am hoping someone can
answer the questions below.  Forgive the basic nature
of these questions; I have only used a package manager
in the past to install software.  Thanks to anyone who
can help educate me :).

----------
Questions:
----------
1- Can I build and install just Kexi and not the
entire
   KOffice suite?  How?

2- For macros, scripts, pgsql and mysql it looks like
   I don't need any ./configure options based on the
   following from "./configure --help":

   --enable-mysql          build MySQL-plugin
                           default=yes
   --enable-pgsql          build PostgreSQL-plugin
                           default=yes
   --enable-kexi-macros    build Kexi macro plugin
                           (EXPERIMENTAL) default=yes
   --enable-scripting      build scripting library
                           (Kross) default=yes

3- Why use --prefix=/opt/kde3/koffice versus default?
   What is the benefit?

4- Should I uninstall my current version of Kexi
   (1.1.0) first which was installed from the Kbuntu
   repositories.

5- Later when I want to move from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 what
   is the general process?

6- How to uninstall or remove Kexi when installed in
   this manner?  If --prefix=/opt/kde3/koffice is used

   can that directory simply be deleted?