[Kexi] Script to open a form

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Nov 7 13:09:43 CET 2006

Bruce Hohl said the following, On 2006-11-06 00:46:

> My goal is to create a "menu" form.
>
> Is it possible to create a script to open a form - say
> the cars form from the sample database.  Then run this
> script from a button on another form - say a new menu
> form?  Is there a better way to do this.
>
> I would then create a desktop launcher using "kexi
> --open form:menu_main Sample_DB.kexi" to open the
> main_menu when the database is opened.  (Users need a
> menu to start from.)

Bruce,
Nice you found and use the command line options. I use them for testing
purposes practically on daily basis to save many mouse clicks :)

If you take a look at the "Assign action" dialog window, currently you can
assign two types of actions:
- menu actions (parameterless for now)
- executing a macro

The latter is the way you could go. Create a macro that opens the object (e.g.
form) of your choice and assign it for the button. Do you have macros
available in your Kexi version? It should be there at least since 1.1.0.

I'd like to ask Sebastian to comment on using scripts for the task. However
script cannot be bound to the buttons so I guess this way is so far not
available, just because limitations of the "Assign action" window.

Later (2.0), parametrized actions will be added to the "Assign action"
function to simplify things. You could be able to drag your object onto a form
and then a command button will appear magically :)

Other thing planned is an "autostart" configuration window where you'd be able
to select objects of any kind that should be opened - just a GUI version of
what you have already with --open, --design and --edittext command line options.