[Kexi] Is Kexi able to deal with large binary object ?

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Sat Jul 22 12:01:02 CEST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 08:55, you wrote:
> Jarosław Staniek a écrit :
> > Pierre,
> > The development Kexi version (1.1 pre-alpha) supports BLOBs. The
> > source code resides in the Subversion repository. The BLOBs are
> > supposed to be images (of many types) at the moment.
> >
> > More info in my blog: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2163
> >
> > Extending the stuff to support more mime types depends whether you
> > want to embed a viewer (e.g. for PDF) within a form. If not, it's
> > possible to implement action like "open in associated external
> > viewer/editor".
>
> At this point of my thoughts, it would be nice to have just support of
> other binary objects such  as other files and possibility to open them
> with an external viewer.

OK, it's doable. Will you able to compile Kexi having this feature, say, in
August?

> It is suggested in the flash video that one can store just the file's
> URL but I would prefer to store the whole file in the database since
> it's getting difficult to retrieve files when you change their location.

Relative paths come to the rescue. And symlinks can be helpful as well. After
all you could define just one absolute directory (even URL in general, e.g.
http or ftp) and then point to the objects by specifying relative paths.

> With the large HD available now, storing Gbites of data is not a
> problem, I think.

But the problem is efficiency not the storage space. You may not be able to
get 1 MB per second when yo ustore the files in .kexi file, while using the
filesystem you'll easily get 10 MB per second...

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska