[Kexi] New user with a few questions

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Jan 20 18:50:07 CET 2006

Custodis said the following, On 2006-01-20 18:10:

>>Current version is 2005 LT Demo v4 and below I'll refer to this one.
>>
> It's strange..., I've downloaded the latest version. In the filename is
> "kexi-2005lt-demo-int-v4-win32.exe" but the program seems to be v3 ???

Yes, the version name inside of the program appears to be not updated, sorry
about this. Anyway the version is v4.

>>>- I am missing the option to make reports. I this possible f.i. in
>>>combination with Abi-word?
>>
>>Simple printots based on data coming from queries is possible in
>>incoming "2006" version, to be pulished next month. On Linux it will
>>be available this month as well.
>>

> Are there plans to improve later?

True Report Designer is planed for Q4 2006. Simple Printouts feature is
intoduced as temporary solution. More about this:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kexi/2005-December/000074.html

With 2006 version (Kexi 1.0 on Linux) you will be also able to copy any
tabular from Kexi to the system clipboard using Edit->Copy Special and then
paste the data to other programs, e.g. OpenOffice Calc, MS Excel of KSpread.

>>>- I've made a table and a form. Looks nice. I forgot however to use
>>>the border. It doesn't seem possible to cut and paste the objects
>>>into the border. In other words the border isn't transparent.
>>
>>You need to insert a new "Frame" widget, select it and insert (or
>>paste) widgets you want the frame to contain. I am unable to try this
>>for your demo version at the moment, but with current version that
>>will be also available as Demo this works well. There is one bug
>>though: widgets cannot be dragged onto the frame.
>>

> Cut and past works; drag and drop doesn't work

yes

>>>- How can I change the color of the tab? (I'm using a multiple tab
>>>form). The tab is gray by default.
>>
>>Currently you can only change color of the entire tab widget. Changing
>>particular tab's color can be good idea and we'll probably add this as
>>well.
>>

> When I change the color of the entire tab widget, the tab itself remains
> gray and can't be edited
>
>>>- Is it possible to drag and drop a field-label to a form so the box
>>>so the imputbox in the form is linked to the table. I suppose not...
>>
>>This is already possible using so-called "Data source" tab in
>>right-hand property pane.
>>

> Can't find it. Perhaps I have the wrong version of Kexi

Sorry, my mistake, this was hidden in your version.

>>>how can I link the textboxes to the table so input will added as a
>>>new record in the table...
>>
>>Click on the form; find "Data source" tab and select data source there
>>from the combobox. Insert a few text boxes, click on each and in the
>>"Data source" tab select data source in the "Source field" combo box.
>>

> Bit confusing. I was linking it to the name of the table , and was
> looking for the place where I could enter the name of the variable. I
> entered the variable name and the links work now.

This way of assigning data source is simialar to how you do this in MS Access.
In fact the task is even easier:

1. Insert a few text boxes; click on one the first one
2. Find "Data source" tab and select form's data source from the "Form's data
source" combobox.
3. Then select data source for this field in the "Source field" combo box.
4. Repeat step 3. for remaining text boxes. You only need to perform step 1. once.

> I encounter lots of bugs and have some suggestions to, are you
> interested or does this kind of input keeps you away of the main task?
> Is there place to enter bugs?

I am interested. If you are unsure whether a given behaviour is bug, or have
wishes, please post these information here. Many of the issues are known for
us or already fixed, so this can save you some time.

There is http://bugs.kde.org/wizard.cgi form for reporting bugs.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki