[Kexi] New user with a few questions

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Jan 19 21:33:56 CET 2006

Custodis said the following, On 2006-01-19 20:21:

> I'm looking for a good database. OOo Base is very unstable so I would
> like to try Kexi. I'm using Windows -XP.

Custodis,
thanks for your interest

> - The version I downloaded is called a demo. Why? It seems to be more
> than just a demo.

The main reason is that the version is the lack of guaranteed technical
support. For more read "1.2 Limitations of Demo Version" at
http://www.kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows

Current version is 2005 LT Demo v4 and below I'll refer to this one.

> - I am missing the option to make reports. I this possible f.i. in
> combination with Abi-word?

Simple printots based on data coming from queries is possible in incoming
"2006" version, to be pulished next month. On Linux it will be available this
month as well.

> - I've made a table and a form. Looks nice. I forgot however to use the
> border. It doesn't seem possible to cut and paste the objects into the
> border. In other words the border isn't transparent.

You need to insert a new "Frame" widget, select it and insert (or paste)
widgets you want the frame to contain. I am unable to try this for your demo
version at the moment, but with current version that will be also available as
Demo this works well. There is one bug though: widgets cannot be dragged onto
the frame.

> - How can I change the color of the tab? (I'm using a multiple tab
> form). The tab is gray by default.

Currently you can only change color of the entire tab widget. Changing
particular tab's color can be good idea and we'll probably add this as well.

> - Is it possible to drag and drop a field-label to a form so the box so
> the imputbox in the form is linked to the table. I suppose not...

This is already possible using so-called "Data source" tab in right-hand
property pane.

> how can I link the textboxes to the table so input will added as a new
> record in the table...

Click on the form; find "Data source" tab and select data source there from
the combobox. Insert a few text boxes, click on each and in the "Data source"
tab select data source in the "Source field" combo box.

> By the way..., very nice icon graphics!

Thanks! This is how Linux looks like.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki