[Kexi] couple kexi questions

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Oct 25 18:56:04 CEST 2005

Corey Saltiel said the following, On 2005-10-25 18:43:

 > I'm brand new to kexi, I've scouted around and read a bit - but I still have a
 > few questions.
 >
 > #1 - I know that kexi is aimed more toward access/filemaker sort of
 > functionality, but I was wondering whether it could be used for general
 > interactions with a pre-existing database; say, for instance, something I
 > could more or less use in place of knoda?

Not yet, and this is not a priority. Administering tools, unlike Kexi, are
usually much tied to a given database type, and are harder to use because of
their more advanced/powerfull feature set.

 > #2 - I saw that you guys have some initial native windows support. While I
 > myself am largely a linux user, I'm about to embark on a project where it
 > would be extremely useful to have kexi on windows - exactly how useable is
 > kexi on windows right now, and is there any vague estimation as to when it
 > might be fairly stable and usefull on windows?

As a result of commercial project (Qt3 tools and msvc and time are not free),
Kexi is perfectly usable on windows too, since 2004. Demo can be downloaded on
the Kexi Project page. Windows users are relatively comfortable with this
offer. (yes, this is released under the LGPL, and they can also use the same
source code as for Linux and build the app on win32).

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska