D14486: Update to current mdbtools

Adam Pigg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 31 13:08:59 BST 2018

piggz added a comment.

  In D14486#301208 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486#301208>, @staniek wrote:

  > In D14486#301205 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486#301205>, @piggz wrote:
  >
  > > A few questions, in the interest  of keeping our downastream happy, and potentially reducing our burden
  > >
  > > 1. do we carry patches ontop of mdb?
  > > 2. how much work would be neded in adding a switch to use the system lib? --I know this would initially be a little work, but could allow a phased approach to using the system supplied lib over time, as packagers choose.  If after 1-2 years, all packagers are onboard, we could then make it the default and remove our version of mdb, and the need to maintain it.
  >

  > Thanks for stepping up Adam. I am not sure if:
  >
  > 1. mdbtools carries version information .
  > 2. It even does not maintain cmake module.
  >
  >   This work is needed in mdbtools itself. And we have no evidence there's any other consumer apart of KEXI that uses mdbtools via cmake.
  >
  >   If above bits are supplied and maintained, we could allow exact version of "system" mdbtools. Exact because it's the only one I test.
  >
  >   IMHO it's more effort and risk than benefit, from history I remember that distros can:
  > 3. skip mdbtools if we set it optional -> KEXI lacks major feature
  > 4. skip KEXI if we set mdbtools required -> KEXI disappears from the distro at least for some time, for packagers it's "just" one release less
  >
  >   Because I am all for seeing any contributions please go ahead to discuss[*] and contribute 1. and 2., then we can have opt-in "system" mdbtools support. We would keep mdbtools mandatory (as long as glib and iconv is present).
  >
  >   Discuss[*]: your challenge would be that mdbtools is consisted of things orthogonal to MDB support KEXI needs: importer tool, exporter tool, SQL support. Whether that project will let you contribute just cmake files for the MDB C API for the read support is not clear. So there may be more work than KEXI needs.

  out of interest, i was looking to see what mdbtools  provides, and they have pkgconfig support we could likely use, but then I came across a maintained fork called cyber-mdbtools, which may be more open to contributions and packaging, and they already have fixes ontop of mdbtools 0.7.1.

REPOSITORY
  R71 Kexi

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D14486