[Kexi-devel] Source for KOffice 1.6.2 has been uploaded

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Feb 15 13:59:28 CET 2007

Michael Nottebrock said the following, On 2007-02-15 12:53:

 >>> You (Jaroslaw) cannot possibly be serious, both about libpqxx's decision
 >>> to retire a long-obsolete API being "ugly" and suggesting that packagers
 >>> should ignore an important update just so kexi will compile.
 >> The changes in pqxx we have problem with are related to API. I think we
 >> agreed this is not something one expect from minor release.
 >
 > The lesson to be learned there is to improve communication with upstream
 > client library developers, I suppose. In any case, laying blame is beside the
 > point, the damage is done.
 >
 >> Especially that
 >> the topic is covered when KOffice is tagged, so patches that "at least
 >> compile" are not enough, although thanks for providing them - we can
 >> publish them within the release notes for users of pqxx 2.6.9.
 >
 > How about testing them then? Tags can be slipped, releases can be delayed.
 > There's not much point in releasing bugfix releases with known bugs.

I consider this as packaging/release bug within pqxx. I'll repeat this the
last time: source compatibility is broken, not only BIC. I am mentioning this
not to blame anybody, this is a fact, and even surprise to me.

I am OK with testing it, if there's someone interested. But now any changes to
the source can only go to Kexi 1.1.3, not 1.1.2. On Linux, Mac, Windows, BSD.
But unless there's someone willing to do this, Kexi supports 2.6.x series of
pqxx, while 2.6.9 obviously is not "2.6.x series" because the forementioned
compatibility.

Moreover, any nontrivial changes to the source code (assuming someone will
want to deliver them) will break source/binary compatibility Kexi pqxx
driver's with "2.6.x series". I am not after #ifdefs. It's not clear whether
the effort will pay off, as Kexi 2.0 will most likely switch to libpq.
Anyone is free to maintain libpqxx version then if there's a benefit for
additional work, it's open source... and after all Adam Pigg has put many
hours into this driver.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek