[Kexi-devel] About GSoC

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue May 9 15:10:12 CEST 2006

Hugo Parente Lima said the following, On 2006-05-09 14:36:

> Em Terça 09 Maio 2006 08:56, você escreveu:
>
>>Hello
>>Could you please explain what's the difference betwen data-orientation and
>>structure-orientation? Kexi is not a spreadsheet too, it makes heavy use of
>>relationships and that's structure, isn't it?
>

> When I say "structure-orientation" (a wrong translation from portuguese ;-)),
> I mean that my idea is a program that don't worry about the contents of a
> table, only about it's fields, indexes, primary keys and relations.... it's
> only a database modeller.
>
> Kexi have many features to manage the data inside the database (create forms,
> script, etc) because, I think, this is the primary objective of Kexi, manage
> the data.
>
> Eg.: You are on windows without Kexi...

I am on windows WITH Kexi :)

 > you need to do a web application... so
> you will need to create the database that your app will use, create tables,
> decide the relations between tables, etc... if you have only two choices
> (it's a example not real world =]), MS Access and Case Studio
> (http://www.casestudio.com/)... what's your choice?

Many will pick MS Access with ADP projects support for MS SQL server.

Hmm, Kexi is "database creation app". From scratch. I can see only one
distinction:

1. apps like MySQL Admin or Query browser - for doint administration
2. apps for designing the db schema (at higher level using ERD/ UML)
   or at both mid level with data editing features (Kexi).

Summing up, the only difference I can see in your app is that you do not care
too much about generating physical database and help with further modifications.

Also, my opinion is that if you talk about reverse engineering, you actually
MUST care about data, because now always schema information is sufficient to
get idea what the logical model is.

Thanks!

--
regards / pozdrawiam,