KDevelop continuous activity?

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Fri Apr 10 14:10:29 BST 2020

On Friday, 10 April 2020 15:03:20 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday April 09 2020 20:51:13 Sven Brauch wrote:
> >> spend a lot of time creating the DUChain cleanup thread (surprising, in a
> >> session that only has TCL and patch files open?).
> >
> >What does "a lot of time" mean? Just starting the thread and notincing
> >there's nothing to do is already "a lot of time" compared to an otherwise
> >idle application.
>
> Is the frequency at which this happens in any way related to how much there
> is to do? In other words, couldn't (doesn't...) the cleanup mechanism
> - suspend itself after having done the last thing there was to do
> - get activated when something happens that will or could leave things to
> cleanup behind?

Sorry Rene, but what is the *problem* you are trying to solve? KDevelop has a
lot of actually annoying performance issues right now, why don't you look into
one of them instead, which would actually improve the application?

Here's three current examples if you need inspiration:

 - Opening the right-click menu in the project tree is super slow in large
project, VCS is doing something here

 - File switching is slow when the file you switch to has a lot of problems
because the problems view spends hundreds of milliseconds resizing its table
columns

 - Sometimes when updating files the whole application hangs, I think because
it updates highlighting for a lot of files and that repaints the scrollbar
minimap in KTE or something along those lines

So please, when you want to spend time on performance, spend it on something
useful instead of occupying 2-3 people on the mailing list chasing 19 cpu
cycles somewhere when the application idles for a day.

Best and have a nice easter holiday,
Sven