Why my installation of 5.2.3 won't parse the code -- a clue (was: Re: 5.2.4 impression)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 10 16:28:49 BST 2019

On Friday May 10 2019 09:22:26 rh kramer wrote:

> > I have at least 12 GB on this machine (I might have 16 GB with 4 GB tied
> up in some ram drives) -- at the moment (before starting kdevelop) I have
> 10.3 GB available -- should I be concerned?

That *should* be enough, but do check if you have swap space (typical suggestion is 2* the amount of physical RAM).

> Anyway, my intention was to stop kdevelop before it got to 99% parsing in
> order to avoid the hang (I quit at about 54%) but the machine hung anyway.

Ah, of course, I had forgotten about thermal protection. That can have the same effect; I had those "freezes" on my current Linux notebook until I uninstalled the thermald. That thing tries to outsmart the thermal protection in the kernel but doesn't always work as intended in my experience and bottom-line is that you shouldn't need it. IIRC the kernel just throttles the CPU if the working temperature gets too high - but that should be rare in a desktop PC when you're not gaming.

What you can do in KDevelop is to reduce the number of threads allocated to the parser, and possibly disable full-project parsing after you load a project. That will reduce CPU load, and every file you open will still be parsed.