C++ header files and crash issue

Steve the Fiddle stevethefiddle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 23:54:37 BST 2019

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 22:37, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday July 07 2019 19:34:38 Steve the Fiddle wrote:
>

> >Am I not already asking "on the list"?
>
> No, you sent a few emails to me only, instead of to the list.
>
> >> To me this suggests that somehow the KDevelop parser adds a "using std"
> or
> >> similar that makes the std the active namespace. Go figure out where
> that
> >> happens ...
> >>

> >Are you saying this is a "bug"?
>
> I'm not saying that it is, nor that it isn't. I would first need to
> understand what happens exactly, and why.
>
> >What do you mean "included via a compiler argument"?
>
> The `-include foo.h` compiler option tells the compiler to include a
> headerfile before including the headerfiles from the #include statements in
> the source code.

Where are you looking? Where will I see these compiler arguments that you
refer to?

> >The compiler arguments that I use (successfully) are:
> >../configure --with-lib-preference="local system" --with-ffmpeg="system"
> >--disable-dynamic-loading --with-mod-script-pipe --with-mod-nyq-bench
> >--enable-debug
>
> Those are not compiler arguments! They are configuration arguments that
> specify how you want the project to be built.
>
> >Interesting. Is there any documentation about custom defines in kDevelop?
> >How did you know to add those custom defines?
>
> Did you read the KDevelop handbook?

This:
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-kdevelop/kdevelop/kdevelop.pdf
Yes, but there is no mention of "defines" as far as I can see. Are they
called something else in the handbook?

I don't see where it explains how to correctly set up include paths either.
Do I need to manually add every directory in the project?

> Select the Project/Open Configuration menu (I'm assuming you have only a
> single project open in KDevelop); in the dialog that opens you can now
> select "Language Support" and you will see tabs labelled "Includes/Imports"
> and "Defines".

Yes, I've seen where to add defines, but Audacity has hundreds of defines.
How did you know which defines needed to be added to kDevelop's
configuration?

> >Could other custom defines be required?
>
> These have proven to be enough for me, but as I said, I don't do any real
> development on Audacity.

Is there anyone in the kDevelop team that might be interested in, a) fixing
the crash bug, b) helping the Audacity team to document setting up kDevelop
for use with Audacity's code? Perhaps we can come to some arrangement that
gives mutual benefit.

Steve