C++ header files and crash issue

Steve the Fiddle stevethefiddle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 19:34:38 BST 2019

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 18:36, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve the Fiddle wrote on 20190707::17:53:38 re: "Re: C++ header files and
> crash issue"
>
> >On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 17:42, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Steve the Fiddle wrote on 20190707::17:10:05 re: "Re: C++ header files
> and
> >> crash issue"

> file,
> >>
> >> The "Open Project" dialog should allow you to "Open 'CMakeLists.txt' as
> >> project". If it doesn't, you will need to check if you have installed
> all
> >> kdevelop-related packages, and (in Settings/Configure
> KDevelop.../Plugins)
> >> if the CMake Project Builder has been enabled.
> >>

> >I'm using "KDevelop 5.3.2 (64bit) AppImage" from:
> >https://www.kdevelop.org/download
> >There isn't an option "Open Project" as far as I can see, only
> >"Project menu > Open / Import project".
> >The "Open Project" dialog that opens from there says "Files of type:
> >Directories" (no other options).
> >
> >The download page does not mention additional dependencies being required.
>
> This I don't understand; you'll have to ask on the list what's happening
> there.

Am I not already asking "on the list"?
So far I've tried this mailing list, the kDevelop forum and the kDevelop
IRC Chat (as described https://www.kdevelop.org/support). Where should I go
for support? Is this not the official support channel?

> Note however that there's an error in the project's CMake files
> (references to non-existing files) and seems to be hardwired for MSWin, so
> this exercise won't help you very much.
> It also doesn't help with the "Did you mean std::Foo" class error.
>
> BTW, I don't think that one happens because KDevelop does not see the
> class definitions, because it will happily take you to the std::Foo
> definition (e.g. std::AboutDialog is defined in AboutDialog.h, according to
> KDevelop).
>
> I'm also seeing errors about std::wxString being an imcomplete type.
>
> To me this suggests that somehow the KDevelop parser adds a "using std" or
> similar that makes the std the active namespace. Go figure out where that
> happens ...

Are you saying this is a "bug"?

> What also is bound NOT to help is the fact that the project uses an
> explicit include header that is included via a compiler argument (`-include
> AudacityHeaders.h`). I think that this is not well supported by KDevelop.

What do you mean "included via a compiler argument"?
The compiler arguments that I use (successfully) are:
../configure --with-lib-preference="local system" --with-ffmpeg="system"
--disable-dynamic-loading --with-mod-script-pipe --with-mod-nyq-bench
--enable-debug

> ---
> I add 2 explicit header search paths to the standard Makefile-based
> project: the wxWidgets include directory
> (/opt/local/libexec/wxWidgets/3.1/include/wx-3.1 for me), and the
> corresponding gtk2-unicode directory
> (/opt/local/libexec/wxWidgets/3.1/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-3.1). I also
> add 3 custom defines: WXUSINGDLL=1, _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and __WXGTK__=1 .

Interesting. Is there any documentation about custom defines in kDevelop?
How did you know to add those custom defines?
Could other custom defines be required?

Steve