geeky OT stuff: clang 5 vs. gcc 7.2

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Nov 15 10:10:14 GMT 2017

On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 10:36:38 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe only sideways related (it could affect how well KDevelop is built?):

You already mentioned it, it's off-topic really. Especially on the KDevelop
user-centric mailing list.

I don't think we have the capability to judge which compiler is in the lead
here. Not to mention just optimizing for compactness of code leaves out all
other (potentially more interesting) program optimizations.

You should check out the numerous benchmarks that test GCC vs Clang out there
(i.e. on Phoronix).

Regards,
Kevin