KDevelop 5 too slow?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon May 29 09:56:10 BST 2017

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 3:21:56 PM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday May 27 2017 16:28:09 Alexander Shaduri wrote:
>
> It seems it might be useful to build an AppImage for profiling purposes, if
> indeed this slowness issue is so much worse with that packaging principle
> than with other kinds of installs.
>
> I take it that the clang parser and all its requirements are bundled inside
> the AppImage too? Could it be that it does a lot of loading and seeking
> from inside that image, and that this is what's slowing things down?

No, AppImage is just a loop-mounted image which will get it's code paged in.
This does not explain such a slowness. Also, so far I haven't seen any
reproducible profile that clearly shows that the AppImage build is slower than
a distro build. But I also don't know how the AppImage code is compiled -
Sven, Kevin - are you using Release or RelWithDebInfo for KDevelop and all the
dependencies shippped in the AppImage?

> don't know how those images work exactly, but if KDevelop is slower running
> from one than as/from a regular install the 1st explanation one thinks of
> is "something related to the bundling".

Before doing such a claim, back it up with hard numbers. Profiling and
performance isn't guess work. It's a matter of measuring and reliably
attributing costs to specific code functions.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de