KDevelop 5 too slow?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 27 14:21:56 BST 2017

On Saturday May 27 2017 16:28:09 Alexander Shaduri wrote:

It seems it might be useful to build an AppImage for profiling purposes, if indeed this slowness issue is so much worse with that packaging principle than with other kinds of installs.

I take it that the clang parser and all its requirements are bundled inside the AppImage too? Could it be that it does a lot of loading and seeking from inside that image, and that this is what's slowing things down? I don't know how those images work exactly, but if KDevelop is slower running from one than as/from a regular install the 1st explanation one thinks of is "something related to the bundling".

> Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help you find the exact
> cause, I'm ready to do it.

What you might also try doing is to install a rolling-release distribution that follows the latest KF5 versions closely in a VM, and see if you have the same slowness problems that way, on the same computer. You're not by any chance running from a disk that any new file you install ends up scattered all over the place (or on an SSD that's equally full and hasn't been TRIM'ed for a long time)?

R.