git status --porcelain error?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 15:21:23 GMT 2017

On Monday January 09 2017 15:55:45 Kevin Funk wrote:

> Hmm, that actually makes sense yep. I guess it's an oversight that
> `completeErrorText` is not shown in the UI. It's an translated string after
> all.

Good error reporting is an art to often gets overlooked because it is neither "cool" nor crucial for the code authors themselves ;)

Translated indeed. I don't know what goes on with Qt5's regional settings but I regularly get French git errors in KDevelop. Which just shouldn't happen. French is for talking to my wife, neighbours and supermarket cashiers, I expect my computers to converse in a civilised language ;)

> > >What /could/ make sense is to elaborate what `FailedToStart` means for the
> > >user...
> >
> > Yeah, but that's not going to tell *me* anything. I don't need hints what
> > the error means but why it happens ;)
>
> Just showing "FailedToStart doesn't really help the user though. It needs be
> more descriptive.

Well, yes, the one thing doesn't exclude the other but maybe the complete error text will already contain sufficient explanation if you replace FailedToStart c.s. with concise versions in a more natural language. I have no idea ATM.

R.