KDE vs. native/Qt file dialogs

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Thu Jan 5 00:51:47 GMT 2017

On 04/01/17 23:32, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> What do others think? Customised open/save dialogs are not uncommon
> on neither Mac nor MS Windows, and the KDE dialog works fine with the
> native macintosh style (I can't check on MS Win.). Would there be
> demand and support for making the KDE file dialog available as a
> build-time option, or maybe even as a runtime preference (like
> OpenOffice/LibreOffice does)? In the latter case one could link the
> initial/default setting to KDE_FULL_SESSION.

The dialog is ok on Linux but on Windows, it's quite terrible. It has
none of the favourites you expect it to have, and instead has lots of
custom ones; plus it looks and behaves completely different from the
rest of the OS. Let's not use it on Windows.

On Linux I agree that it's far better than the other available options
(esp. the default Qt dialog, but also the GTK3 one is quite annoying).

Greetings,
Sven