KDevelop can't load project: "too large document"?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:28:10 GMT 2017

On Tuesday December 12 2017 16:09:36 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> parse ;-). See also https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/17539,
> where we're discussing how to refactor the monolithic API going forward.)

Call me short-sighted, but reading that discussion only strengthens my questioning of the general usefulness of the additional functionality cmake server mode provides. I didn't notice any must-have new features in cmake-based projects after upgrading to 5.2 nor do I miss any when I use the legacy fallback import mode - but then I use KDevelop mostly (but intensively) as an advanced code editor with integrated VCS, API documentation etc. The crucial things for KDevelop are thus probably which files are built and with what options (so the parser knows where to find all includes and what preprocessor symbols are defined). The main consideration for me (after parsing validity) is how long I have to wait for a project to open, and how (un)likely it is that cmake gets run outside of the possibly imperative controlled environment.

That discussion just made me realise I'd be very happy with a per-project setting to indicate which cmake mode is most appropriate.

R.