KDevelop can't load project: "too large document"?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 20:25:17 GMT 2017

On Tuesday December 12 2017 14:39:44 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>You mentioned a KDevelop code model that is "0.004Mb", or about 4 KiB.

Actually, I mentioned a largest reply of that size. I'm not at all looking what those are replies to, just printing out the size (in Mb) for replies exceeding 1024 bytes. I don't know if the server can fragment its replies, but if that's the case it would be able to fly under my radar entirely, in theory.

>As an experiment, please feed the attached file as stdin to `cmake -E
>server --debug --experimental` (modifying the paths in it to reflect
>your KDevelop source/build) and look at the size of the output. (Note:

OK, my bad...

{"cookie":"","errorMessage":"No build system was generated yet.","inReplyTo":"codemodel","type":"error"}

This particular project wasn't meant to drive builds, only to serve as a clean/scratch workspace to do patch reviews and commits so it not being configured correctly was never a problem.

After setting that right (by forcing the project to import once with the legacy importer) I now see a largest server reply of 4.53Mb which does seem to correspond to the code model.

>(I encourage you to try Ninja; besides being a very nice build tool in
>general, the CMakeFiles for Ninja for that project is only 720 KiB ;-).

I rarely find a significant every-day benefit to using Ninja. A much smaller build system size overhead would be one but I think that KDevelop saves the make/ninja choice at a global level, not per project. And since I really like to be able to chdir into a project sub-build-dir and do only partial builds from there (and instant incremental installs with install/fast) I just stick with good ole make.

R.