KDevelop can't load project: "too large document"?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 20:21:41 GMT 2017

On Tuesday December 05 2017 15:07:52 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>Any thoughts? I'd *really* like to be able to open this project!

What's your cmake version, probably a new enough version to have server mode? A while back certain projects (includng KDevelop itself IIRC) didn't import correctly with server mode, so I implemented a "noserver" mode in the cmake wrapper script I use most of the time. I still use that for most projects as server-based import is noticeably slower (or was, last time I compared). The crucial part is this:

while [ $# != 0 ] ;do
        case $1 in
            -E)
                # chdir into the actual directory = get rid of any and all symlinks on the current wdir
                cd `greadlink -f "${PWD}"`
                if [ "${2}" = "server" -a "`basename $0`" = "cmakewrapper_noserver" ] ;then
                    # emulate the error message from an older CMake version
                    (   echo "CMake Error: cmake version 3.0.1 (faked to avoid server mode)"
                        echo "Usage: cmake -E [command] [arguments ...]"
                    ) 1>&2
                    exit 1
                fi
                exec cmake "$@"
                ;;

If the master branch still has the compile_commands.json fallback (which I hope) you could try a similar approach to see if that makes any difference.

Then again, do you have a compile_commands.json file in your build directory, and what size is it?

You always have the possibility to import the project with a simpler project manager (= don't import the CMakeLists.txt file).

R.