KDEV 5.0.1 line spacing question

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Sep 22 14:12:40 BST 2016

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:58:08 PM CEST Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 September 2016 18:14:26 you wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 21. September 2016 13:22:46 CEST Leon Pollak wrote:
> > > Thank you, Milian.
> > > I have the same font set for all the KDE and it is Consolas.
> > > I doubt that this is the problem of the font as what has changed is the
> > > line spacing. In both kdevelops the font and its size are the same.
> >
> > That is odd, I have never seen such a difference.
>
> Please, can you put 4.7.3 and 5.0.1 one against other and compare?

No, I do not have the time for that.

> > > BTW, I see the same spacing as in version 4.7.3 in all other
> > > applications
> > > based on KDE 4 (kmail, kaddressbook, etc.).
> >
> > What about other Qt 5 based applications? A more modern Kate e.g.?
>
> Below is the Kate version information:
> KDE Frameworks 5.25.0
> Qt 5.6.1 (built against 5.6.1)
> The xcb windowing system
>
> If I open the same source in this Kate and kdevelop 4.7.3 the line spacing
> is exactly the same. Strange, I expected it to be the same as in 5.0.1!

Which again proofs that something very fishy is going on at your end. We use
the same katepart that kate is using. So if you see something different in
KDevelop and in Kate, than you must have different settings in both. Please,
go to

KDevelop: Settings -> Configure KDevelop -> Editor -> Fonts & Colors -> Fonts
and compare that to
Kate: Settings -> Configure Kate -> Editor -> Fonts & Colors -> Fonts

> > Note that we do not configure line heights at all - we
> > simply ask the font for its height and use that.
>
> I am very weak in the GUI internals. Just from some other parameters I know
> that line spacing IN GENERAL is tunable...

See the config dialog above. We do not offer tuning the line height. Also:

int KateRenderer::lineHeight() const
{
    return fontHeight();
}