Some feedback from a new user

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Mon Jul 11 19:51:16 BST 2016

Am Montag, 11. Juli 2016, 19:24:18 CEST schrieben Sie:
> Hey,
>
> On 07/11/2016 05:11 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > I think it would be cool, if the rendered API documentation would be shown
> > as long as the cursor isn't in the comment. When he enters the comment,
> > it would go back to plain text. Here, you would be able to enter the
> > Doxygen tags. It isn't needed to support HTML in comments. Just support
> > the Doxygen tags.

> Ok, valid and potentially useful feature request in my eyes. Patches
> welcome or put it on bugs.kde.org as a wish and hope somebody picks it
> up. :)

Okay, I make a feature request.

> >> Does it find the related include? Are your include paths set up
> >> correctly?
> >
> > Gwenview compiled fine, with "make" from the command line (except for a
> > few
> > warnings). The compiler knows of all the include paths that it needs. Why
> > doesn't know Kdevelop of those paths...?
>
> It _should_ get those paths from cmake. Do you use the cmake project
> manager? If it indeed doesn't work, then it would also be interesting if
> you use KDevelop 4.6 or 4.7. You could also try 5.0 (see below).

I don't use any project manager yet. I just want to look at the Gwenview
source code (for now).

I use kdevelop-4.7.3.

So it is a bug that the correct include paths aren't imported from CMake?

> >> That again makes sense because it's not a class which is part of the
> >> project; it's from the KConfigWidgets framework or something.
> >
> > Isn't it obvious that users would want to browse the libraries in use?
> > Just
> > the API documentation, though.
>
> Dunno, I never do that, I sort of use code completion as a streamlined
> documentation browser, or the navigation tooltip. Does this feature
> exist in other IDEs (e.g. QtCreator, Eclipse)?

Don't know, I'm not familiar with those.

> > Where is the documentation of the documentation tool?
>
> *cough* we're not exactly very rich on documentation. If you have the
> Qt5 docs installed, they should show up in the documentation toolview.

That's not quite true. I've installed qt5-doc, but nothing shows. If, however,
I install qt4-doc, it shows.

> > So far. There are more cool features which come to my mind. Such as UML
> > compliant class diagrams... ;-)
>
> There is some code to do things like that (control flow graphs, etc) has
> been there for years actually, but it remains mostly unmaintained -- my
> guess is because it's not that useful to have after all :D

> You might also want to try the KDevelop 5 beta, 4.7 is quite old by now
> but unfortunately 5.0 is not fully ready to be released just yet :(
> There's a stand-alone executable which might work for you, that'd make
> it very easy to check if the include paths issue is gone in 5:
> http://files.svenbrauch.de/kdevelop-linux/

I've tried Kdevelop 5-beta. The class browser doesn't work any more. But the
include path problems seem mostly fixed. There are still some instances of not
found include files, though.

Bye
Volker