Some feedback from a new user

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Sun Jul 10 20:00:54 BST 2016

Hey Volker,

thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated to get information on
how a new user sees the application.

On 10/07/16 20:32, Volker Wysk wrote:
> When I open a new file, I always have to enlarge the font, because the
> standard font is very small.
For some reason the default fixed font size is quite small (across all
applications though), just go change it in settings -> configure editor
-> appearance -> font.

> I hover the mouse over KConfigDialog, or use the Code Browser. There, the
> documentation is shown. But it is just plain text, no formatting, although
> the text contains tags.
That makes sense, I think. You probably don't want to render stuff the
user types into his comments as HTML -- it could be invalid, it could be
a code sample, or it could not be meant to be interpreted as HTML at
all. We should leave the formatting to tools like doxygen.

> I jump to the declaration of KConfigDialog, and there is "class
> KCONFIGWIDGETS_EXPORT KConfigDialog : public KPageDialog". I want to browse
> KPageDialog, but the following message appears: "Problem in Semantic Analysis:
> Declaration not Found: KPageDialog".
Does it find the related include? Are your include paths set up correctly?

> "KPageDialog" also isn't accessible through the class browser.
That again makes sense because it's not a class which is part of the
project; it's from the KConfigWidgets framework or something.

> Then I go back to Gwenview's configdialog.h file, and want to know which
> source file(s) include it. But I couldn't find a way to display this.
I indeed don't think there's a way to find out about that. You can
simply use "find in files" for the file name though.

> But what I'm really missing, is support for properly browsing the
> documentation. There ist the "documentation" tool, but I couldn't find out how
> to use ist. I also couldn't find it in the KDevelop manual.
What documentation? There is the documentation toolview, but that is for
e.g. Qt's documentation. For the user-supplied code and its comments,
the only way to browse it is through the navigation widget (the popup
you can get by moving the mouse over an object or holding Alt).

Greetings,
Sven