Kdevelop parser

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Sun Feb 28 10:05:00 GMT 2016

Hi all,

I switched now to kdevelop 4.7 and I'm quite impressed of the auto
completion proposals.
But I have sometimes trouble with the background parser.
It seems as if this parser parses nearly everything that is available -
even .c files that I never reference directly. I would assume that parsing
.h files is sufficient for auto completion.

I built a complete toolchain for a cross compiler and this happens when I
open a project that references the headers of the toolchain.

The background parser starts and kdevelop grows to more than 2GB of memory
even when having only two files of the project open.

One of the more or less strange outputs on the console is:

kdevelop(10697)/kdevelop (cpp support) KDevelop::ParseJob::readContents:
"Skipped file that is too large:
'/home/erik/intel/gcc/gcc-4.8.2/libgcc/config/libbid/bid_binarydecimal.c'"
"The file is 6.1 MiB and exceeds the limit of 5.0 MiB."

How can I prevent that? I would agress that the parser parses all headers
of the toolchain but not the .c files!

The background parser needs way more than an hour to complete (or crash -
which is the more likely event). Sometimes I just get a SEGV without any
chance to send a bug report.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Erik