KTextEditor plugin integration

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jul 30 01:53:08 BST 2015

Good news everyone!

After quite some work, I finally massaged the KTextEditor plugin API into our
KDevelop framework. For now, I only load the snippets plugin, as it's the only
one where I'm 100% sure we want to have it.

Now, it would be cool if others could finish up the work I've started. It's
all nicely unit tested and also quite central, i.e. just one file you'll have
to touch. Just look at application.h and window.h from KTextEditor and add
implementations for the missing methods by adding the corresponding slots to
the KTextEditorIntegration classes.

What we'll probably want I've mentioned also in the commit message. Most
notably, the VI mode people want to add some functions to get split views
properly integrated.

Then, someone - this does not necessarily need to be a develop - should
compare the functionality of plugins in Kate and KDevelop. Here, I'm mostly
thinking about the file system browser, the open documents plugin, the open
document switcher plugin, and the search & replace plugin.

All of them we have in both applications, but they have slightly different
UI's and functionality. My goal is to remove all the KDevelop specific plugins
and replace them by the Kate plugins. This will require some investigation on
whether this is possible with minimal changes to Kate code. We will definitely
have to extend the code to abstract the document system away, such that we can
open/manage non-KTextEditor documents.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff