kdevelop (4.90.90) on remote display?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 23:50:10 GMT 2015

On Wednesday February 04 2015 23:26:26 Nicolai Hähnle-Montoro wrote:

> Maybe the OP's problem has to do with various differences between the
> client and server X libraries?

Who knows. In theory they're both of the XOrg.org flavour.

> I know for a fact that KDevelop works decently with NFS, and I expect
> that it'll also work okay with sshfs.

Well that's going to make for speedy compilations...!

> > I'm more concerned about Qt applications being non-starter over remote
> > X.
>
> Luckily we'll all soon be using Wayland, so this will become a non-issue.[0]
> [0] Though obviously not in a way that makes people like us happy ;-)

Hah, I presume you're referring to the way Wayland is (not) going to be making its appearance on OS X or MS Windows?

> *That* said, I just did a quick test of a (non-kf5) Qt5 application over
> X forwarding, and it generally seemed to work (lost my color scheme, but
> that's maybe not surprising since it's otherwise inheriting it from X

Are you also getting a kind of grey/beige background in the UI? I even get that when I launch a Qt5 application with the xcb plugin on OS X, rendering to the local X11 server.

R.