KDevelop in (K)Ubuntu's Project Neon5

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Oct 18 21:29:34 BST 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In order to get a bit of an idea what we're missing out on under OS X for
> the time being, I installed "Project Neon5" on my Kubuntu 14.04LTS netbook.
> It won't let me start a full KF5 session (logs in to a black screen, after
> the login splash that works fine) but at least I can run KF5 apps from
> within my trusty KDE 4.14.2 session. (Which is enough to see I don't like
> the new themes, but that's not the point here ;) )
>
> So I started building KDevelop git/master using neon5-env and neon5-cmake.
>
> Does anyone here have experience with this Project Neon5? I'd be
> interested to know if the IDE I'm building this way can also be used on
> pure KDE4 projects should I want it to. I presume that would ideally mean
> launching it without the neon5-env or neon5-exec wrappers, and in
> particular, it would require picking the right cmake executable. Possible?
>
> Cheers,
> R.

I've used neon5 a bit, but then I only used it to fetch the different
dependencies. I always ended up creating a new prefix for the project (aka
/opt/kdevelop). I never really felt that comfortable there anyway.

Master should let you open any project, regardless of the KDE or Qt or
anything version (note you might not use any of these on the project).

Aleix