kdevplatform mixed licences

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Jun 13 18:55:49 BST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> KDevplatform has files which don't follow the KDE licencing policy of
> (L)GPL2+
>
> shell/ has files which are GPL 2 only
> while
> plugins/subversion/kdevsvncpp is GPL 3+
>
> they don't link together directly but they are a derived work of the same
> library so it's a bit of a legal grey area whether they can be distributed
> together.
>
> David F, Till and Manuel may I relicence your files in kdevplatform/shell/
> to from GPL 2 only to GPL 2 or later?  There's also a file which is
> copyright KDAB, David and Till are you able to grant me permission to
> relicence this?
>
> Much of the files copyright David Nolden is LGPL 2 also e.g.
> vcs/models/projectchangesmodel.cpp by Aleix Pol Gonzalez don't give much
> of a problem for distribution but don't follow the KDE licence policy
>
> Thanks all
> Jonathan

Hi,
I see 3 issues here:
* GPL 3+ code: That's just the subversion support. If nobody sees a better
solution, I'd move it to playground and extragear and let the users decide
if they want to have it. We can add a warning or something on the README or
cmake output.
* GPL 2 only code: As far as I understand it's only a matter of having
KDAB's code relicensed, which David already did, so we can move it forward
already? Or we need Manuel?
* LGPL 2 code: I'm unsure why it's a problem. It's because we should change
them to LGPL2+, right?

Thanks Jonathan for looking into this!

Aleix