Working set designation - icon or letter - please, vote!!!

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Tue Dec 24 16:57:19 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 24 December 2013 11:35:48 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2013-12-24 09:52, Leon Pollak wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 December 2013 15:43:36 Sven Brauch wrote:
> >> Question is, though, do people even want this? If there's a
> >> consensus
> >> letters are better than the current icons I'm not opposed to
> >> writing
> >> it, but if half the people are against it and half are for it I'm
> >> not
> >> going to change the current thing
> >
> > List members are kindly asked to vote for one of two following
> > options to designate working sets:
> >
> > 1. By arbitrary generated icon in the style more or less it is done
> > today.
> > 2. By sequentially assigned letter with an option to reassign
> > manually.
> TBH, I think letters would be... less aesthetically desirable (at
> least to me personally). And so am going to go with (1) ;-).
>
> Whether or not they're *effective*, from an *aesthetic* standpoint I
> actually quite like the new icons. The aesthetics are non-arbitrary
> and they integrate very well with the new splash screen.
The*aesthetic* part may be solved by putting the letter on some
background like colored rectangular or circle, for example.
Even the existing icon may be used, probably...:-)

I think, the voting should be based firstly on functional motives, as
the aesthetic ones are solvable after functional are decided...:-)

IMHO.
--
Leon