Working sets

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Tue Dec 17 10:04:10 GMT 2013

On Monday 16 December 2013 12:32:32 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2013-12-15 13:06, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 December 2013 20:15:14 Leon Pollak wrote:
> >> Milian,
> >> After your help I was able to create 3 WS.
> >> But I was not able to understand the way of switching between them.
> >> This 4 quadrant icons are not so clear - they toggle the WS in some
> >> unclear way so that one of my WS is displayed once in 3 clicks.
> >> The other icon seems not to include the third WS at all.
> >
> > I don't follow. Maybe create a screencast and/or put reproducible
> > steps into a bug report on bugs.kde.org?
>
> @Leon, have you filed a bug yet? If not I may do so. If yes I will
> probably add myself to it (or if you file one, feel free to add me to
> CC.)
> > Generally, clicking on a not-currently-opened set should close the
> > current set and open the one you clicked on.
> >
> > If you click on the currently opened one (the one most to the
> > right), you close it. Opening a file will then create a new set.
>
> Nope. Clicking on the active working set for me just pops up the tool
> tip. I have to click the 'close' button in the tool tip to actually
> close it.

I did not fill the bug. I still try to understand how it works and I
hope I start to understand (a small manual:):

The "presenter" of WSs consist of minimum two  bigger icons - one, the
left, which represents the currently opened WS and the rest (after the
delimiter) which represent other UNOPENED WSs.

The inner smaller rectangulars represent the first 4 opened files and
are colored accordingly - existing files have another color than
unoccupied places. I was not able to understand the color scheme, but
this seems to be not so important.

To bring the other WS to the active state one just clicks on it (right
to the delimiter). When clicked, the current WS exchanges with clicked
one.

To create the new WS go to the current one (left to the delimiter) and
choose 'close' - now you have the clean field with green/black area. You
can add files from the Project pane. Note, that at this state all WS are
presented without the delimiter, as there is no active WS. When you add
the first file to the empty WS it becomes active current and appears
together with the delimiter to the left.
---------------------------

Just for now I think this is really very very cool. I will continue to
study this more.

For now, what is not clear to me:

1. How one having, let's say 4 WS, is supposed to distinguish between
them by these icons? May be it will be better to put some letter, even
one?

2. It seems to me that the previous concept of one debug WS and one code
WS is changing. None of these is not presented in the icons. But still,
closing the debug session cause the set of opened files to change.
Starting the debugger (F9) also changes the set of file.
This always made me very nervous. But there must be some reason dehind
this, which I am trying to understand.

BR
--
Leon