Working sets

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 05:48:26 BST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Leon Pollak <leonp at plris.com> wrote:
> May be this is incorrect name "working set", but this seems to be
> written on the tab...
>
> Anyway, usually there are three tabs at the right upper side called
> "Review", "Debug", and "Code".

Those three tabs are not working sets, they're the three "areas" or
"modes" of KDevelop.

Working sets are orthogonal to that - you can have a different working
set open in each area, or the same one in multiple areas, and you can
have any number of working sets which aren't open in any area at all
at the moment.

Each working set is basically just a set of one or more files, grouped
together and assigned a little icon. This makes it easy to close all
the file's your currently working on at once, then work with some
other files, and then later close those and go back to working on the
first set without having to re-open each file manually. It also serves
as a way to manually control whether you want different areas
("Code"/"Debug"/"Review") to share their list of open files or not.

Each area ("Code"/"Debug"/"Review") displays the icon of its currently
active working set on its tab. The icons of working sets which are not
active in any area at the moment, are shown to the left of the area
switcher.
You don't need to take any special action for creating and managing
working sets: Whenever you open a file in one of the areas
("Code"/"Debug"/"Review"), it is automatically added to the working
set that is currently active in that area. When the area was
previously empty, a new working set is automatically created as soon
as a file is opened.

> Now, while tracing the program I passed several files A, B, C, D and
> found some bug in the file E. here it is, just on the screen!
>
> After pressing "ESC" key to finish the debug session, I find myself in
> the file A. And were is E with the bug? God knows....

I'm not sure how the automatic switching between areas for debug
sessions works, but it sounds like it simply put you back in the
"Code" area, which still had the first working set (containing only
the file A) open.
>From there, you could have just clicked on the little working set icon
displayed on the "Debug" area's tab, to make that working set
(containing file E) the active working set for the current area
("Code") as well.
If you did not want to *replace* the working set of the "Code" area
with that from the "Debug" area, but just open some (or all) files
from it in addition to the ones already open in the current area,
don't *click* the "Debug" area's working set icon, but just hover over
it with the mouse and click the corresponding "Add <file>" or "Add
All" button in the tooltip that shows up.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Gunther Piez <gupiez at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I too would very much like to know how "working sets" can be used in a
> meaningful way, or if not how to disable them completely.

There is some more documentation here:

http://userbase.kde.org/KDevelop4/Manual/Working_with_source_code#Modes_and_working_sets