kde-workspace dependency

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 28 07:28:35 BST 2011

On 27.09.11 16:31:24, Afief Halumi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to install kdevelop in my home directory at work. But the
> dependency on kde-workspace is keeping me from doing so.
>
> We are using an old and proven Linux distro and it'll probably be years
> before we upgrade to something that is slightly newer, and on such an old
> system it seems that kde-workspace is chocking on some OpenGL. This is
> keeping me from building kde-workspace and thus kdevelop.
>
> I don't follow the internals of kde or kdevelop, but the kde-workspace
> README says that anything that typical applications(e.g not a panel or a
> screensaver, which is stuff that is tied to the workspace) should not depend
> on kde-workspace. Is there a good reason for this dependency? Can it perhaps
> be made optional for those of us unlucky enough to not have a fully
> installed KDE system?

You're not alone, basically any gentoo user has the same problem. The
dependency exists so that KDevelop does not need to have its own widget
and logic to show processes to the user for attaching a debugger to it.
We're using the processui library which is still in kde-workspace. When
this first came up the processui maintainer promised to move the library
to kdelibs but as you can see that never happened (probably because it
works for most people this way as well).

Its possible to make this optional, but that requires someone to dig up
the old code for the process-listview and then adjust the code in the
gdb plugin to use that if the processui library is not found.

Andreas